Sunday 12 April 2020

Week 4 in Isolation

This is the first time I have ever gone a whole month and never been out of Langholm. I can hardly believe the fact that I filled the car with petrol exactly a month ago and have only done about 50 miles. At the same time I drew £30 from the cashline and its still in my wallet as all transactions have been by Apple Pay and I have never been in a situation to pay cash. We live in strange times indeed. This is the carving of an Eagle on the Lodge Walks which I must pass 3 or 4 times a week.  
On the same walk there are loads of these Pheasant Pens for the breeding season. Last year they bred almost 100,000 Pheasants and Partridges but I think there will be a lot less this season and maybe there won't even be a shooting season. I have never been one who actively supported shooting but in a remote rural area like Langholm it has created about 8 full time jobs and from September to February it provides a lot of business to the local hotels
The road to Murtholm
A great display of daffodils beside the Wauchope river and Caroline street
On Monday I visited Langholm Cemetery to pay my respects to my mother and father. I had been thinking about them a lot recently and the effect World War 2 had on them. My mother suffered terribly in Hull during the war and lost one house to a Land Mine and was dug out of an Air Raid Shelter that took a direct hit. 
A lonely Lennie Bell at his regular seat on the Castleholm. We usually walk together on a Monday and Thursday morning but now we walk on our own and occasionally pass each other.  
The path round Jenny Noble's Walk which I have done twice this week

This is the footprint from a Mountain Lion which was discovered by Fraser and my 3 American grandchildren last weekend on their hike in the foothills near their home in Saratoga, California.  
The English Kirk round the Lodge Walks or The Scottish Episcopalian Church to give it its correct title. It has been closed as a church for many years and is now just a store room for Common Riding equipment.

1 comment:

Tommy said...

I am glad that it was not you that encountered the mountain lion on your walk.

Blog Archive