Tuesday 3 September 2024

A Day Out To Macduff and Portsoy


I took the Stagecoach Double Decker bus from Newmacher to Macduff and Portsoy today. It’s the best way to travel through rural Aberdeenshire seated upstairs at the front of the bus. There are still loads of Barley fields to harvest so hopefully September will be a good month to enable the harvest to be gathered in. Even on the east coast it’s been a wet summer.

Endless fields of Barley

Also potatoes and they badly need some sun.

We passed through Turriff

This is Macduff a very busy fishing port.

Just approaching Portsoy

Its harbour was first built in 1696 and extended later.


This fisherman was cutting up Mackerel as fishing bait and I tried to start a conversation with him but he never responded. 

I stopped for an hour at Macduff to watch the fishing fleet leaving harbour at high tide. This vessel was from Kirkcudbright and it’s a Scallop boat.

This boat left and then 15 minutes later it returned so maybe it had a problem. I had a most enjoyable day apart from no cafes being open and the Scotch Pie I bought from a bakers in Portsoy was awful and I ended up giving it to a Gull.




No comments:

Blog Archive