Tuesday 10 May 2022

My First Corncrake


Monday started with torrential rail and 40mph gales so it was early afternoon before we ventured out of the house. I went a walk in the rain and got drenched and within half an hour of me getting back the rain had gone and blue sky's prevailed. I went 2 miles up the road to a nature reserve and had an amazing walk with birds flying everywhere. On my way out of the reserve in the car I noticed this Corncrake in a field crossing between two patches of Iris beds. I quickly used my phone and got this. He started calling soon after and even although he was within feet of me I never saw him again. They really are very elusive these Corncrakes but everywhere we go in the evening you can hear them calling. 
The beach at Balranaid Nature Reserve. It was busy with the Camping site there full of Camper Vans with mostly Bird Spotters.
Later in the evening I went my regular walk near the house and this field planted with grass seed I think has freshened up after a morning rain.
Another view of the beach at the Nature Reserve
My evening beach walk at 8.30pm

 A Lapwing on my evening walk and there were loads of them about and their cry's were wonderful in the late evening sunshine.

No comments:

Blog Archive