Sunday 23 January 2022

A New Local Walk


In the last 2 years most of my walking has been near Langholm or within a 6 mile radius of Langholm. Today I decided to try a walk I had never done before. When you consider that I have walked for every day over almost 2 years there are a very few new walks. Looking on my OS maps on my Laptop last night I selected this triangular walk near Kerr. I have often done the old Drove Road to Old Irving but never the other way. It's a 3 sided triangle of minor roads for about 4.5 miles. They go through Moors, Forest, Hills, Marsh,  Fields and the most striking thing I noticed was the mile after mile of beautiful Beech Hedges all in perfect condition after an autumn trim. 
On the first section of the triangle there are many fallen trees as a result of the end of November Storm Arwen.
There is a lot of Conifers planted on the hillsides with Deciduous trees on the edges. In a few years time you will see nothing but trees and no hillsides.
A lovely profile of a large tree.
The road over the Tomshielburn
Loads of wind turbines on the horizon on the first leg of the triangle
Loads of fallen trees.
Yet more wind turbines
Mile upon mile of perfect Beech Hedges. If it was a local farmer keeping them trim then he has done a great job and is to be congratulated.
Trees up by their roots
Whita Hill with Langholm Monument and also Tennis Hill on the third leg of the triangle.

The Solway in the distance on leg 2 of the triangle
Lots of new deciduous trees
Moorland and Forest in the distance.
Side 3 of the triangle and more hedges perfectly manicured
Back at the start near the entrance to the Drove Road to Old Irving. A most enjoyable 90 minute walk during which I met 1 car, 2 cyclists, and 2 runners. There was so much to see and I will do it again when all the Beech Hedges are green. This photo was actually taken at the start of my walk.




 

1 comment:

tootlepedal said...

I have often cycled those roads but I must try to walk them soon. A good idea.

Blog Archive