Wednesday 15 September 2021

Walking With the Glovers at Threave Castle


Tom and I had our Wednesday walk at Threave Castle and we met John and Marion Glover at Threave Gardens so they could take us round this lovely walk. This is the River Dee that surrounds Threave Island. We arrived at the Gardens early so we could have a quick lunch before meeting John and Marion. It was quickly served and excellent quality.  
Threave Castle which normally would only be reached by a boat ferry so as its closed just now due to Covid-19 we couldn't get any closer. 
The small Ferry
I just love Galloway Cattle and this wee fellow was very cute.
A very imposing Castle
Tom with John and Marion Glover and Charlie their lovely Spaniel.
A group photo.


 The Galloway cattle in a perfect line. After our walk we headed to Kippford where John and Marion have a Caravan and we enjoyed a coffee on their balcony overlooking the Galloway Hills. A perfect end to a perfect day. 

3 comments:

Steve said...

Hi Gavin
Steve from Rowanburn here. Really enjoy your blogs and we walk a lot of the routes that you post . I wonder if I could ask your advice on a situation we found ourselves in last weekend?
We had planned a circular route from the Kings pool up through Tanlawhill the beginning of which would appear to be a council maintained road leading to forestry roads , but very soon into the walk came accross a couple of signs warning of private property and loose dogs and cctv etc , so we decided to abandon our planned route , the thing is ,as we walked back we were passed by a large group of motorcyclists and a couple of cars using the very same road!
Would you happen to know if we can walk this route legally under the right to roam act.
Many thanks,
Steve

Gavin said...

Steve
I know that area quite well and have done several walks there. Under the right to roam you should be able to walk there. I think part of that will belong to Lord Tanlaw and he should not have signs saying loose dogs etc as legally if they did anything to you he would be liable I think, but I am not an expert in law. We can go anywhere in Scotland as long as we act responsibly and leave everything as we find it. You could say that the road is a public access. Its a different thing if you are near somebody's garden and then you protect their privacy but this was a road and therefore a right of way. I had the same happen to me near a wind farm on the Lockerbie road when I was told by the English farmer I was walking on private land, but I was on the access road to the wind farm. I later checked this with D & G Access Officer and he said we were within our rights to walk there.

Steve said...

Hi Gavin
Thanks very much for your reply , appreciate it.
I shall have another attempt at that particular walk in the near future .
Keep posting your blogs , really enjoy them.
Thanks

Blog Archive