Sunday 2 February 2020

A Walk Over The Thistle Viaduct

For many years I have wanted to walk over the Thistle Viaduct that crosses the River Esk just north of Kirkandrews on Esk Church. Despite the bad weather I decided this would be my Sunday morning walk. It was well worth the effort in all the mud and rain. The last time I crossed this bridge would be in the early 1960s when I was on the train to Carlisle.
I think it would be a double rail track over the bridge as this was the old Waverley Line which at Ridings junction just a mile further north would split into the single track Langholm Branch Line.
This is a Tree House on Netherby Estate. It costs about £200 per night to rent and it looks very nice from the outside.
Kirkandrews Church
The suspension bridge at Kirkandrews Church. It has been renovated in recent years and is now in excellent condition 

No comments:

Blog Archive