Friday 6 December 2019

Tom's Birthday Walk on Border Abbey Way

This was Tom's Birthday Walk and we did a section of The Border Abbey Way between Lindean and Melrose. We had actually done the same route but slightly longer in 2007 and when we started at 8.45am it had been -8C and at the finish in Melrose it was -3C. Thankfully it was a lot milder today and luckily the rain stayed away until we were on our way home to Langholm where it had rained all day. This is Tom dishing out his quota of Toffee to all the walkers. 
We walked past Melrose rugby ground which I think is the nicest rugby ground in the UK.
Suspension bridge over the Tweed at Melrose
Plenty of Fungi on the route
Melrose Bowling Club and a regular green visited by Langholm Old Bowling Club every September for a Pairs Tournament but regrettably I have never played on it. That might change next season as I might have to play there in The Champion of Champions competition as I won the Langholm Old Championship this season.
I think this may be Dere Street but am not sure
The Tweed at Melrose
The Birthday Boy with Martin, Peter, Ken, Sandria and John
Wherever you are in this area you can always see the Eildon Hills
More Fungi. Specially taken for Mr. Tootlepedal who is particularly fond of Fungi. 
During this walk we again had a friendly argument about the route but technology has come on a long way since 2007. Then we only had an OS Map when we argued about the route but this time I had OS maps on my I Phone and when Martin, Tom, Ken, and Peter all insisted I was on the wrong route I was able to look at my phone and clearly see exactly where we were. Reluctantly they took my word for it and then when it was proved I was right they apologised. Thank you Apple. Look at this blog from 2007. http://ardlui.blogspot.com/2007/12/toms-65th-birthday.html

No comments:

Blog Archive