Wednesday 6 February 2013

A Walk Round Thirlmere

Another Wednesday and another good walk, this time in the Lake District with a walk round Thirlmere. This was opened in 1894 to provide water for Manchester and these Victorian engineers were really clever as it heads downhill to Manchester by force of gravity so no pumping is required. The water takes 24 hours to reach Manchester and provides them with superb water.

Tom and Peter on the Dam at the head of the Lake. Notice Tom's footwear as he was adamant that he would need his snow spikes and the more Peter and I told him he would not need them the more he insisted he would.



Close up of Tom's fancy footwear. It is worth noting we saw neither snow or ice on our walk, except of course the snow on the mountains, but Tom wore them for 10 miles.




Looking down the Lake from the Southern end.


 A view of the Lake from the Forestry road. Very little of the walk was on decent tracks and as a result of this by the time I had walked about 8 miles my hips were playing up and very sore so I decided to wait at a car park about two miles from the finish until Peter and Tom came back for me. After they left me I should have walked along the main road to the car as I became very cold once I had cooled down from walking. I was so pleased to see them an hour later and it was only when we got close to Langholm that I began to feel quite warm again.


Lovely clear, cold water.

1 comment:

Tommy said...

I like the nifty footgear

Blog Archive